Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How To: Save on electricity

Our electricity bill last month was $42. That is next to nothing when compared with bills of the past which ranged from $150-$250 per month. Here is how we lowered our bill:

- Our hot water and stove are on gas which is included in the rent.
- We have been turning everything off as soon as we aren't using it anymore. And I mean off, not on standby.
- We have been spending more time together. 1 room worth of electricity is cheaper than 2 rooms.
- I paid my bill early, which saved me $4, so I really only paid $38 for the month. $4 saved is $4 saved!
- We have an air conditioning unit which we try not to use. We will open and close doors to try and make the temperature better. If needed we will turn the air conditioning on for a few minutes and then turn it off.
- I do big batches of cooking so that the oven just has to preheat once. And my oven is huge, so it takes forever and a day to preheat. May as well bake as much as possible and then freeze it!

What other tips do you have for saving on electricity?

1 comment:

  1. Nice idea for a blog. Montessori teachers have to be very frugal. How's your training coming along?

    ReplyDelete